Monday, 4 April 2011

Kitchen Renovation [day 14]

~~~ Day 14 (Thursday)~~~

The next day, the manors continued with tiling the wall.

Meanwhile, both my brother and me were not satisfied with the provided dish basin. My brother was expecting a better quality one (in term of thickness) with deeper hollow while I never expected the sealed bottom. Thus, my brother went around the town to search a sink that would pleased him. I agreed with his idea. He came back before lunch informing my mother that he bought one which cost RM612 (over the budget). It has wider, deeper and thicker hollow. It was not wise to purchase a new one without the constructor's concern. The new sink with imprint "Sevilla" arrived during lunch break. It was so much larger than what my mother expected. Yet, the sink was still have sealed bottom :(. What a dismay!!! My brother informed that searching for an one-piece-sink was almost impossible. Moreover, the wide hollow is convenient for washing the wok or larger pot.

After a short consideration, I returned the sink, hopefully to get a refund, but cannot. :( I was only allowed to exchange it with another sink. The shop owner claimed that "Sevilla" is a recommended brand. All the 2-hole-sink he has were with sealed bottom. What should I do ? At the end, I just took a smaller one which cost a little cheaper, RM522, though I was still dissatisfied.

The constructor came in the evening to collect a partial of the payment. My mother would like to pay only RM2K, even he had requested RM3K. This was the 2nd payment and the first payment was also RM2K. Regarding the sink, he promised to deduct RM25o from the lump sum price.

Photo snapped during morning break.


The young manor was tilling the side and top of the window while the older manor tiled the bottom of the other wall.















<- Note that he left few more tiles untiled.


Lunch break

<- Can you spot the differences with the photo shot earlier ?

The old manor finished his job and did not return after lunch.
The complete tiled wall.


After lunch, the constructor's son was grouting the wall with the green grout.

At the end of the day
The contrast between photos captured
with flash
without flash

<- The top of the sill before tiling.

Now, the sill around the window is very nicely tiled.





Is the line in the middle more obvious? It is because the gap is larger than others. This is another example of the reckless work of the old manor. :(














<- An obvious layer of grout can been seen at the edge of the wall. The old manor should tile closer to the edge.












The crack are still obvious after grouting. :(


<- Before






After ->




The tiles for the kitchen benchtop together with another batch of floor tiles (10 boxes) arrived today.

Kitchen Benchtop :-
Colour:K01-02 (Beige)
Size:60cm x 60cm x 1cm(thickness)
Made in Newpearl Group == Made in China.
I was checking its packaging to find out about its technical features but in vain. :( Furthermore, there is not useful information available in its website.

Just checking around the kitchen. The tools and equipment used for the renovation.
The tiles were immersed in the water before tiling. Is it fine not do so? Once, I saw the old manor was applying new tiles directly from the packaging. He just rinsed it, then pasted it on the wall.

Fan for cooling while working.

2 comments:

e.p.f said...

I guess imperfections of alignment will sort of disappear after grouting.

annie said...

The photo is after grouting