Thursday, 6 January 2011

Kosong Pau

Making chinese bun or better known as pau is not a hard task to accomplish but tedious. I had been making it for several times :P. I like eating pau because it is very delicious especially they are steaming hot. The secret of making delicious pau is just the skin. Normally, I would just make 'kosong pau' which is a slang Hokkein that means pau without fillings. I like to eat 'kosong pau' with homemake kaya.

~~~ INGREDIENTS - Kosong Pau ~~~

1. 1 kg All-purpose wheat flour (if you would like to have whitish pau skin, use HongKong flour)
2. 200g Sugar
3. 11g of yeast (my favourite is France Levure Sèche de Boulanger dry baker's yeast)
4. 500ml lukewarm water
5. 50g Shortener

I had been reading other blogs that used white vinegar to make the skin whiter. However, it is hard to prove that it works.

~~~ STEPS ~~~
1. Sieve the flour and make like a mountain with hole in the middle. Add sugar, yeast, shortener and water in the hole.
2. Mix all the ingredient together. The dough would become sticky.
3. Knead the dough until smooth and has its own shape.
4. Roll the dough into a very long cylinder shape.
5. Cut into 30 pieces.

1 comment: